Thursday, October 27, 2011

And remember, this is for posterity so be honest.

The Princess Bride (the movie) was released in 1987, the year I was born. I cannot vouch that I have seen it every year of my life but it is pretty close and, if I haven't, I've watched it enough for two or three of my lifetimes. This movie is tops, as is the book. Have you read the book? May I suggest you do?

William Goldman wrote the book within a frame narrative (which the movie somewhat maintains). Goldman writes that he heard the story from his grandfather and researched and abridged the original S. Morgenstern novel. Goldman's commentary is throughout, assuring the reader that he has here removed a lengthy tangent regarding the monetary system of Florin and, if you have a 1987 revision or post, that tourism at the Cliffs of Insanity has sky-rocketed since the release of the movie. The characde is absolute and beautiful. I told my father that we needed to visit Florin and Guilder. Allow me to burst your bubble, there is no Florin or Guilder. No Cliffs of Insanity, tourists or no. No S. Morgenstern. Goldman has no son. And there are no legal issues with the fictional Morgenstern estate in releasing the non-existent sequel, Buttercup's Baby. It is a clever literary device and I love the total devotion to keeping the myth alive.

But back to the movie. Have you seen the movie? May I ask why you are a total loser if you have not? Have you seen the Entertainment Weekly Reunion photograph?

Please note the homage pictures to Andre the Giant and Peter Falk. Also, there's a ROUS to the far left. Fred Savage is noticably missing but he wasn't very important to the movie anyway. Entertainment Weekly has also released a The Princess Bride Oral History, with all the tidbits and trivia I could hope for. I love details like these.

What I think is so lasting about The Princess Bride is that it cannot be imitated. It is one of a kind in its blend of romance, adventure, and humor. This book/movie defies description, "fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...". There had never been anything like The Princess Bride before and I cannot envision anything being quite like it again.

So, what's your favorite line?

No comments:

Post a Comment